Monday, September 29, 2008

Satan's Ice Cream

I am posting this cause Jane asked me to and I am so scared that if I don't do everything she says, then she will not take me to Goode's when I visit and although I have no clue what the fuss is all about, I cannot bear the thought of my life without it. Cause Jane said so.

But this is my mom's chili. I used a few different ingredients cause the Twerps ate it and we have already established they are wusses. Cute wusses, but wusses nonetheless.
The Culprits: tomato juice, spaghetti, pinto beans with jalapenos, chili beans, kidney beans, ground beef, onion, green pepper, chili powder, and salt. I put the pepper in there too though. Cause how sad is it to picture the salt without the pepper and I want no favoritism to be here at Country Girl. She is a lover of all souls.
Anyhoo, chop up one onion and one green pepper. I used half of each. Why? Wuss Twerps.
And fry them up with your ground beef. If you are like someone who CARES about your arteries and thighs, you could use ground turkey. Unfortunately, Indiana Jones married a farmer's daughter. We love beef. It's what's for dinner. Boil some spaghetti. How much? Like 1/4 a box. ish.
Then open up your cans of beans. DISCLAIMER: I always use pinto beans with jalapenos and chili magic chili beans - Texas style. But Target had neither. So this is what they got. The frat boys did not complain.
Add the beans and drained spaghetti...
and the drained ground beef. Next add 6 Tablespoons of chili powder. And then start pouring in the tomato juice. About half to 3/4 the bottle.
Some like it thick.
Some like it runny. I bring it to a boil and then taste and add salt and more juice or spices if needed. I almost always add more chili powder. And Indiana Jones adds Louisiana Hot Sauce. What-eva.
Then enjoy. This is my mom's recipe I grew up on. She never made a bad dish...Well maybe spoon gravy. But that story will have to wait for another day. And Tin Man will have to tell it. Amen.

13 comments:

Marchelle said...

OK, it does look very yummy, and I am opening a can of worms, bigger than if Obama says the pledge or not, but our chili does't have spaghetti in it. My mama said that's a Hoosier thing. She's an Okie and she said they don't put spaghetti in it out there. Did you find that to be true?

Either way, I'd eat it. I love all foods. Especially if they have beef & cheese in them.

MauritaMason said...

Wow, that looks delish. How awesome is it that you don't wimp out and use Chili-O mix like I do?

I like your salt and pepper shakers.

Treasia Stepp said...

It looks delicious. I've never heard of putting spaghetti in chili however. Is this a way to stretch it out further? I might just have to give it a try though.

Tara said...

Yum!!! This version is what we call "chilli mac" in the South. I craved it the whole time I was pregnant. I think it's time to make it CG style. Thanks!

Dreams of a Country Girl said...

i know....spaghetti in chili...I always thought everybody did it until I moved to Oklahoma and NO ONE did it.

but yeah, it is totally a regional thing. Like Cincinnati chili. And since we lived IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE....Cincinnati was close...well like 3 hours.

so yeah, we have always used chili and i thought you peeps who did not use it were weird....now i bow my head humbly and realize I am the werid one. Shucks.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!! Might just have to make this for when the munchkins return.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!! Might just have to make this for when the munchkins return.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!! Might just have to make this for when the munchkins return.

Dreams of a Country Girl said...

not that it matters...but I meant 2 hours...anyhoo

Jenn said...

I have never heard of putting spaghetti in chili either, but darn if it doesn't look good!

Dana and Daisy said...

mmm. that looks go good. I have never understood the spaghetti in the chili thing though. I prefer like a whole ton of crushed up saltines as the main carb ingredient in my chili.

But I know millions out there swear by the spaghetti.

The Wife said...

Never, ever, never heard of spaghetti in chili. Very strange but it looks good.

The Kelso-Winter Family said...

yikes- i'm so busy following the goats, the strep saga and now a redhot chili recipe that I haven't blogged myself..and now people will say.."who is this plain jane? why is Good Co. worth traveling for and probably sooo many other ???s i may not be prepared to answer - oh who am i kidding? i have about 1 blog reader THANKS a mil for the recipe. I'm orig. a buckeye so i know all about that skyline chili...