Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Universe Has Spoken - Parenting: Keepin It Real

The Universe has always had a weird way of continuing to put my pride in its place.

Like in high school, just when I thought I was pretty - I would obtain a ginormous zit ready to burst forth like Mt.Vesuvius.

Or at work when I am staring to feel like I GOT IT -- inevitably I send an email out that within 10 seconds I realize needs to be recalled.

Or just when you spend your savings on shoes and feel a little "YEAH I'M WORTH IT" (hypothetically speaking, of course) your car dies a dramatic death, but at least you got some cute shoes, huh?

The Universe, he can be so gnarly at times.

Anyhoo -- he has spoken to me today. In loud unabashed tones. About my parenting.

If you will recall just yesterday, a mere 24 hours ago, I was telling you how wonderful Eldest Twerp is -- how SHE GETS IT. How life is about others. I was crying and PROUD and satisfied that the fruit of my parenting was possibly finally paying off. I was content.

Oh how silly one can be. And the Universe had no problem pointing this out to me. Jerk.

I was at the Security Checkpoint in the airport last night traveling to California when ET called my cell.

I picked up and could barely understand her though her sobs.

"Mom?" sniff sniff WAIL! "I need to tell you something that happened at school today. I just can't hide it any loooonnnngggger" sucking air and making noises only known in the medieval torture chamber.

"Okay, what ET?"

"Today at school THE PRINCIPAL was talking to us and said there are no water bottles allowed unless you have a medical condition."

"Okay....????"

"I told him I had one -- I got thirsty real easily. And he said oookayyy then, you can bring one. And you and I both know I don't have that medical condition. I don't even know what it is really calllllleeeeedddd." WAIL WAIL WAIL

Insert me having restraint here. YOU LIED TO YOUR PRINCIPAL ON THE FIRST DAY OF MIDDLE SCHOOL AND TOLD HIM YOU HAD A MEDICAL CONDITION CALLED "I GET THIRSTY REAL EASILY" SO YOU COULD HAVE A WATER BOTTLE AT SCHOOL?!?!?!?

But instead I calmly asked, "Wow -- what do you need to do?"

We both agreed she needs to go back tomorrow and tell her principal that she LIED and she has no medical condition and she will be following the rules of no water bottles at school. I am certain you can imagine his amazement when he finds out SHE MADE THAT MEDICAL CONDITION UP!

Seriously "I GET THIRSTY REAL EASILY"?!?!?!?

Thanks Universe. Maybe tomorrow we can try again.

11 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my. Thats just...awful. *snort*!
Sorry. I just hope the principal can conceal his surprize when he learns there is no "I get thirsty real easy" disease. ;-) Could be way worse CG. At least she wasn't caught smoking in the bathroom! Your doing a fine job with your kids. Keep up the good work.

Cynthia said...

A school that doesn't allow water?? I think students would melt here in AZ. They are practically required to carry water.

Dana and Daisy said...

I am just shocked he fell for it.

and you know what, ET has a conscience, and that is as rare as compassion for others. Which she also has.

and she knew she had to rectify it, which is also rare.

So, all in all, I'd say you are doing a fine job CG!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like me when I was little - I could NEVER lie - still can't.

And honestly - shame on him for believing "I get thirsty real easy"

Bless her heart at least you will always know when she is lying. :)

And what are they worried about with water and middle school kids? That is crazy - I can see maybe wanting those leak, spill-proofs like a nalgene or camel back bottle but that is a little odd!

Tana said...

sounds like you're still ahead of the parenting game on this one- she could have just smugly carried water around for the next three years.

jenn said...

I understand completely--just when things are sailing smoothly along--something always seems to happen! But, hey at least she has the character to tell you both she lied! It could be worse, she could be carrying a water bottle around all year and you would have never known the difference!

Anonymous said...

Is the principal single? Does he want to get married? I bet he will believe me about my "I'm allergic to cleaning" condition.

Sandy said...

You know, of the two incidents I think I'd celebrate the 2nd. It cost ET a whole lot more to confess to you and the principal, & to make things right, than it did to befriend her classmate ( which was a sweet thing to do.) Your girl has integrity, which is a rare thing!

Anonymous said...

She has a conscience, honesty at heart, wisdom to know what she must do to rectify the situation. I say you are well on your way to raising a beautiful young woman.

Patty

Dreams of a Country Girl said...

BTW -- she told them principal everything and the response-- THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THE TRUTH. IT REALLY TAKES A GIRL OF INTEGRITY TO APOLOGIZE AND COME CLEAN. THANKS.

Kelly said...

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the principal, who I'm certain saw it for what it was, and didn't call her out on it.
I still think you should be proud... it takes a lot of character to'fess up. (I have a simialr medical condition called "must have sweet tea every morning or is incredibly grumpy". Thankfully my husband believes it is a 100% accurate diagnosis and medicates daily!)